Fullness of joy

 

Steve and Wendy Backlund consistently offer me the challenge to rise into joy, push through an ungrateful, weary heart and speak out what is true rather than what I feel (feelings are real, but not always true).

This blog is another one of those challenges: Why are you not radically joyful now? This is God's question to Steve and it challenges him, so he shared it. It is a challenge to me as well. Where is the joy? Joy is our strength, it is a spiritual gift, and it is not an emotion.

Meanwhile, here we are in a protracted isolation from our "normal" life, working from home, social/physical distancing, and looking like it will continue for the foreseeable future. How do we hold on to hope? How do we find joy in the midst of circumstances?

The Bible says:

  • In His presence is fullness of joy (Psalm 16:11)
  • Good tidings of great joy . . . for all the people (Luke 2:10)
  • May the God of hope fill you with all joy (Romans 15:13)
  • Consider it pure joy when you fall into various trials (James 1:2)
  • These things I say to you so that your joy might be full (John 15:11; 1 John 1:14)
  • Joy unspeakable and full of glory (1 Peter 1:8)

What reasons do we have for NOT having joy? What barriers are there to entering in?

In His presence there is fullness of joy. His presence is the answer. I turn my affections to Him. I enter in. I have to be active and step in. I can't just hang back and wait. It is not going to take effort, but it is going to take intention.

I am learning how to LET GO of grief, of old patterns of thinking, of non-functional relationships and a lack of boundaries. I am learning that relating to others from fear does not satisfy my heart. 

Also, and perhaps more significantly, joy is related to my beliefs about who God is to me in the situation. Listening to the inner voice is sometimes uplifting and sometimes drags me down. It's obvious which is the one I shouldn't be listening to! 

I journaled about this: Lord, who do you want to be for me in this time of hiddenness and uncertainty?

This is what He said: I am Enough. (you have no idea how many times He has to tell me that, and I still don't seem to get it!). I see you, and I know you. I am your loving Husband in this season. I am sufficient and I understand. I really do. I am the Alpha and Omega, so it isn't over until I say so. Period. I don't see barriers and problems like you do. I don't feel hopeless in any situation, even those where I have pruned or removed something that wasn't productive. An end in one place is still a potential beginning in another! Keep close to me and you will find rest. Keep close to me and see my provision in ways you can't expect and didn't imagine. I love you.


Comments