The Goldfinch

Last week on my daily walk, I saw a goldfinch. Now, just to put that in perspective, I don't typically see them, although they are also common birds in my part of the world. It's exciting to see them once in a while, but in the last few weeks I have seen them multiple times. Out with a friend for a walk, we saw a goldfinch fly across our path and perch in a tree. Then I saw one fly by me in my local neighbourhood and stay in a nearby branch while I walked past. Of course, when I pulled out my phone to take a picture it flew away. Finally, I was sitting in my back yard eating lunch and I saw a goldfinch land on my tree, followed closely by his mate who proceeded to chirp and chew on whatever they found there. By this time, I had figured out that maybe God was trying to tell me something :-)

This morning, I was chatting with a friend and she told me that she also saw a goldfinch on a walk. In fact, she saw three goldfinches land in a dead tree. And, very quickly, she realized that God was showing her something about resurrection because of the symbolism (she has very spiritually attuned ears!).

Suddenly the pieces fell into place and we were both so excited. I had Googled it, and found out that the goldfinch, along with a number of other birds, has represented the passion of Christ and the resurrection for centuries through Renaissance art by masters like da Vinci and Raphael.
"The goldfinch is fond of eating thistles and thorns [which is] an allusion to Christ's crown of thorns; [so] the goldfinch has become an accepted symbol of the passion of Christ... often appears [in art] with the Christ child, showing the close connection between the incarnation and passion." (George Ferguson)
Then I asked the Lord what He is showing me - what is He resurrecting in my life?

Lost and dead dreams are rising again. I am not restoring (giving back what you had and lost), but I am resurrecting (bringing back to life), renewing (making new) and redeeming (buying back). New things may be coming, but they are building on old things that you thought were lost. You may have given up or think I've forgotten, but I remember in every detail. I hold those dreams until they are ripe.

You can continue to prepare because the seasons are changing and you must be ready to shift. It will be radical yet familiar and not at all scary. Prepare to feel like it's right and good even if it seems crazy. I'm not asking you to quit your job because you are strategically placed there. But there is a tipping point that will bring change.

I sent a goldfinch to show you how rare and beautiful you are. Yet you are in the right place and you fit perfectly where you are. You are in the right church! You are safe here to heal, to grow and to be released. Keep asking for what you need.

Resurrection is a raising from the dead, but it is not the same as restoration. Jesus looked very different in his resurrected body - the disciples who lived with him for 3 years hardly recognized him! We can embrace the new, seeing it as it comes forth from the old that was lost, but we can't expect it to be the same. That is as exciting as it is scary. And we definitely won't be able to (or want to) wear the old grave clothes. Those things have to come OFF!

Comments