The healthy attitude


Mark Virkler, proponent of hearing God's voice, and journaling, wrote this:

Disease often begins with dis-ease in our hearts, so do whatever it takes to master the art of living in faith, hope and love. You cannot establish health in your physical being if you are not walking in faith, hope and love! Note what the opposites of faith, hope and love do to your health (these sins of fear, despair and anger are three of many sins which one can fall into):


•Fear damages health (Lk. 21:26). Note that fear increases heart attacks fivefold.
•Hopelessness/despair/depression damage health (Prov. 13:12). Note how depression affects you and damages your health.
•Anger damages health (Eph. 4:26,27). It suppresses the immune system and makes you ill. However, the simple act of watching a video showing compassion builds the immune system.
•Stress damages health. Here is an amazing link on a recently concluded study which shows that stress caused reductions in the amount of gray matter in parts of the brain that control physiological and emotional functioning. This includes the area of the brain that regulates not only emotions and self-control, but physiological functions such as blood pressure and glucose levels. Talk about confirming the biblical truth that we are to be anxious for nothing and in everything give thanks (Phil. 4:6; Prov. 17:22; Phil. 4:4)!

I think anyone who has been through a traumatic experience or a loss of a loved one can relate to feelings of fear, despair, loneliness, anger all wrapped up in a stress package!

How do we bring the antidote (faith, hope and love) into the midst of a long journey through a dark valley?

I can't pretend I have the answers to that one!!

However, I have learned that in the midst of the worst moments of my life I have been given a choice: to say all the "right answers" and seethe inwardly, or to deal honestly with honest emotions and choose to speak out what is true at the same time as knowing and believing in the righteous character of God.

I've said before (probably more than once) that God does NOT inflict our struggles upon us, even as a means of testing us or training us. A good God would not want to see His children endure suffering, pain and illness. Death is not in the will of God. Yes, He can turn these things into growing opportunities for us, but that doesn't mean He stands back and looks on while we struggle through.

In my experience, I have asked God "How can this have happened?" more than "Why?". It is sometimes hard to reconcile the fact that God could have intervened but didn't. I may never really understand that.

At the same time, it is very hard to imagine how I could put faith, hope and love into the worst possible circumstances. Yet, if I look at the whole of the last two and a half years, I can see how my faith in God's goodness, hope that He will redeem this and the love of friends who have prayed for a with me have made all the difference.

I could be a tight little ball of anger, bitterness and grief. And that might be completely justifiable based on what I've been through. But that is not the answer, it's not the way forward, and it's not going to add more life to a path of death.

I guess if there's a healthy attitude in there, that's it.

Comments