Beautiful in his eyes


A friend and I went to a craft show today. It was a beautiful day, not too hot, and my daughter was out with friends, so this seemed like a good way to spend a Sunday afternoon. I didn't plan to buy anything.

We were looking at some "floaty stuff" (technical talk for wraps, ponchos and shawls) and the whole rack fell apart in front of us, with all the clothes tumbling to the ground. I helped pick it all up, so the very grateful stall owner said she would give me a discount on anything I liked in her collection. Do you think I could find a thing? Colour was wrong, style was unflattering, or I just didn't like it. After about 15 minutes of trying on everything that wasn't nailed down, we all concluded that there was nothing there for me and I walked away.

Then, as we strolled further and the crowd thickened, I became quite overwhelmed. We started back to where we had parked and passed a stall with nice necklaces and earrings. Now, I like earrings, but I don't often wear necklaces, particularly because I don't have many I like.

There was one in a dark topaz, which I had never heard of. My birthstone is topaz, but I don't tend to wear that gold colour, so I've never been keen on topaz jewelry. I put the necklace on, making note that it cost over $150. Both my friend and the lady who made the piece used the word "spectacular" to describe how they thought this necklace looked on me. I was unsure.

First of all, it was a style that is quite different from the understated jewelry that I would usually go for. And it cost a lot of money.

In the end, I bought it. And even then, I was turning over in my mind whether I should have spent so much on this for myself. If my husband was alive, he would have questioned the purchase for sure.

It was quite a contrast as I think back: the discounted wraps or the expensive necklace.

But over the last hour or so, a revelation has built in me. My theme verse for this year is "precious jewels" and this necklace is, coincidentally, made up of silver and my birthstone. It was made for me, and I am to wear it like an adornment as The Lord has adorned His throne room with my praises and my worship.

As for my husband's reaction, I felt quite firmly that he wants me to look beautiful. The outside is reflecting the inside.

In heaven, we will all be radiantly beautiful because we will all be reflecting the image of God, after whom and by whom we were created. In heaven he will see me as my redeemed, resurrected self, not this old shell of a body that I often struggle to accept and live with.

I am adorned with the Holy Spirit and, as much as He lives within me, He is evident on the outside as well. I will wear this spectacular necklace with the understanding that I am beautiful in the eyes of my Father, my Maker and my husband.


Comments