The act of journalling


I have never journalled so much in my life as I have since my husband died. I have filled two notebooks and have started on number three. (Incidentally, if you are interested, I love Ecojot journals. I have the nature jumbo journal and the "learn from the past" journal waiting for me).

Before I was married, my journal was a friend and confidante. When I became a disciple of Jesus, my journal morphed into a place to record verses, Bible studies and words. However, Mark Virkler's teaching on how to hear the voice of God revolutionized my journalling. I had been listening to God for some while, and often heard Him, but Mark's teaching blew me into a completely different part of the stratosphere.

For one thing, Mark is not "airy-fairy". He's cerebral. For another, it is actually SIMPLE to hear God's voice, but it is essential to be still and quiet and listening.

It was a complete revelation to me that not only could I hear God when I asked, but I could hear Him a lot and all the time. God is ALWAYS speaking, and we will hear Him if we listen. That blew my mind because we practised, and I found it worked.

One of the other people in our study group, who was a younger woman, said that in the first session she wrote one line down in her journal. By the last session she was writing a full paragraph. And that may seem small to those who do this all the time, but it was a big deal for someone who might otherwise think it flaky or out-there.

Two-way journalling has become more the norm for me than ever before. I will go for weeks without writing one single "navel gazing" entry in my journal. Don't get me wrong. There has to be a place to get that out, and this is why I journal. I don't write that raw stuff in this blog. This is meant to be the percolated thoughts and truths that I hope will encourage someone else - maybe you...

The best way to journal, is to start. I don't know if it is easier for women than men. Maybe this is the moment for you readers to come out of the woodwork and comment. I would like to hear thoughts on this.

I've already written how my husband never used the journal I gave him for writing revelation in, and that is the one I'm using now. But there are plenty of ways to express and let out emotion. My husband did like typing his thoughts and ideas into Microsoft Excel. There are quite a few files that I haven't looked at which cover a variety of topics. I know that, when I'm ready, there will be things there I want to share. But not yet.

Journalling is a good way to let out emotion because it doesn't hurt anyone else, and it can be poorly spelled, grammatically incorrect and completely all over the place and who cares?

But, moving beyond that into the spiritual journal, it becomes a means for God to speak and to minister. I know that God has used my journal to soothe me when I'm upset and agitated. He has given me words of encouragement that I've been able to share and encourage others with (like in this blog). But, most importantly, when I read it over and go back, it is wonderful to see all that He gave me.

For example, just this last weekend when I was preparing for the long 9 hour drive to my daughter's camp, and the possibility of bumping into her sister, God used my journal to soothe and calm me. He promised me that He would cover me with His hand, and that is exactly what He did.

I have never wanted to read back into the journals from years ago. I have them all in a storage box, but even though I want to save them, I can't bring myself to read through it all. Perhaps there is a gem waiting for me there? Or, even better, the realization of how God has answered my prayers and fulfilled what He has promised.

There are a few keys to hearing from God that, although not a formula per se, will help optimize your likelihood (note: I am not an expert on this!).

1. Quiet yourself: it doesn't have to take long, but your internal attitude needs to be calm. A frenetic, anxious spirit doesn't have to crowd out the still, small voice: I'm often looking to God to speak into my situation when I'm feeling overwhelmed, and He does. But I must make the time to deliberately come down from the merry go round and stop.

2. Ask: You do not have because you do not ask. How many times have these words convicted me? Yes, God knows our thoughts, but do I expect Him to read my mind? What do I want from this time? Literally ask Him a question.

3. Don't strain: God may have a still, small voice, but it IS audible. A friend taught me to pray that my mind would be clear of all thoughts and ideas of my own and from the enemy. Then, the first thought that popped into my mind was from the Holy Spirit. She also told me to stop listening if I didn't hear anything within 2-3 minutes and my mind started to wander.

4. Trust: Does this make you worry that you will be led into error? That is a possibility, but that is why you test things. For most journalling, you will know what rings true and what lines up with Scripture. You may hear things wrong, but with practice, you will become more attuned to the word of God. You can use the wise counsel of a mature Christian (who will not argue with you for 20 minutes about the theology behind doing this) to check you if you feel that there is something you should share with another, or to direct your life.

5. Flow: Allow your mind to flow once you have tapped into the voice of the Lord. I find writing in a journal makes this easier. My mind is busy on the physical act of forming the letters, so I don't have as much time to let it wander in different directions. Sometimes it's almost like the words are flowing out of the pen because I am not generating them. However, this is NOT like "automatic writing" which is an occultic practice and to be avoided like the plague.

6. Enter in: there is no doubt that this kind of connection to the Lord will deepen your intimacy and sense of His Presence in your life. But, like everything else, it won't work unless you DO it.



Comments