Precious jewels

When He cometh
Author: William O. Cushing


When He cometh, when He cometh
To make up His jewels,
All His jewels, precious jewels,
His loved and His own.

Like the stars of the morning,
His brightness adorning,
They shall shine in their beauty,
Bright gems for His crown.

He will gather, He will gather
The gems for His kingdom;
All the pure ones, all the bright ones,
His loved and His own.

Little children, little children,
Who love their Redeemer,
Are the jewels, precious jewels,
His loved and His own.


Each year I ask God for a theme verse - usually it comes to me by my birthday. This year, I had the words "precious jewels". It sounds kind of corny, but gemstones are anything but that:

* Jewels are precious because they are rare and very beautiful when polished. They are also hard (diamonds are used as drill tips in some settings) and formed in high pressure situations under the ground.
* Jewels are multi-faceted and have great depth. They flash with brilliance and reflect light.
* Jewels adorn the walls of the holy city of Jerusalem (see Revelation 21) and the gates of the temple of God.
* Jewels are displayed and used to adorn because of their great beauty and rarity.

I mentioned some of this in my last posting. God is forming us, under great pressure at times, to be a display of His splendour.

We are immeasurably precious to Him, a glorious representation of His image, a beautiful adornment of His home.

Comments

  1. Greetings from Wordwise Hymns. Your blog caught my eye because I posted an article on Mr. Cushing's lovely gospel song this morning. I enjoyed your devotional thoughts on jewels as well. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment