How do we heal from this?

There is healing in the name of Jesus to break every chain, break every chain, break every chain...

I was listening to that on my new Jesus Culture CD this week. I played it over and over. How does He do it? How does He take completely broken stuff and make something whole? I just don't know. I don't get it. But, really, I don't have to.

God says: you aren't taking care of yourself. What does all this rushing achieve? Where are heading with it? Bring me the whole tithe of your time. I want you in my presence - before me. Me in you will heal you so fully.

Know Me, abide in Me, dwell in Me and find hope. Find your way because of Me. Discover your path, your direction and lay hold of your inheritance. I have a delightful inheritance in mind for you.

See how abundantly I have provided for you so far? This is only the beginning!

Allow Me to transform you as you heal. Do not allow everyone access to your heart. Do not abuse your heart or push yourself so hard. You cannot heal if you rush. There is so much I need to tell you. You have not heard all that there is. Your heart cannot heal yet. You cannot forgive if you do not know what has been done to you.

Reject the foolish arguments. Steer clear of those who would lead you into the place of exhaustion, who would drain you just by their presence. Guard your heart and only take pathways that are firm (Prov 4).

I will be near you always. I am your truest friend, the Father you need now the desire of your heart. Your husband is still real, and you do not need to apologize to anyone for that. You feel the vulnerability of the loss, but I defend the fatherless and the widow. Know that there is healing ahead for you.

What does healing look like? Does it look like acceptance that this is my life now? Does it look like reconciliation to the reality that my dearest love has died and chose death for himself? Does it look like freedom from grief? Does it look like a testimony of grace and faithfulness?

You will find the path of life again when your season of tears is over. My presence will become a place of healing in time and there will be times of great satisfaction and hope interspersed with the deep loss of your husband. You will always love him. You will always hold him in your heart. Your life will open up again in new ways you cannot imagine now. Don't look for a path that you think is there because it may not be visible at first. And now is not the time.

Jesus healed instantaneously, but grief is a process. Weeping endures for a night, but joy comes in the morning, and we look for the morning through the night because grief is such hard work.

Yet what would it say about my relationship with my husband if I quickly recovered? It is honouring to him that I mourn his loss for as long as this path is. At the same time, it is essential that I not become buried in the same things that weighed him down and, ultimately, pushed him to choose death. I must keep moving, however slowly.

Healing comes in many forms. I think of  healing when I meet with a counsellor who speaks to me in the power of the Holy Spirit, or allows me to release the grief through tears. I think of healing when I feel like peace flowing through me, or I hear the voice of the Lord. I think of healing when I am aware again of things I used to enjoy. And I think of healing when I can remember my husband in a way that doesn't bring pain or struggle.

Luke 13:31-33
At that time some Pharisees came to Jesus and said to him, “Leave this place and go somewhere else. Herod wants to kill you.”
He replied, “Go tell that fox, ‘I will keep on driving out demons and healing people today and tomorrow, and on the third day I will reach my goal.’ In any case, I must press on today and tomorrow and the next day—for surely no prophet can die outside Jerusalem!

Comments